History Savoy Centre
The Savoy cinema was opened on 12th May 1932. It was one of the largest cinemas in Ireland with seating for almost 2,300 patrons. The art deco was, a stylish addition to the streetscape. It hosted the Cork Film Festival from its’ beginning in 1956. One of the most popular features of the cinema was the Crompton organ. The university concert hall in Limerick now houses the organ. Fred Bridgeman played the organ before the screening of the main feature on Sunday nights and the audience sang to the music. As the words Were displayed on the cinema screen.
The Savoy cinema closed in early 1975. It was redeveloped as a shopping centre, incorporating a live music venue and opened in 1977. It was refurbished in 2001 and again in 2010. It now has a mix of ladies & gents fashion, home furnishing, a coffee and a juice bar, travel shop, jewellery and a barbers shop.